This year’s Donate Life Month has already come and gone – and what a successful month it was! With so many community partners –throughout Maryland participating in Donate Life Month, the results were overwhelming. Specifically, several hospitals participated in the Donate Life Hospital Registry Challenge. This challenge encouraged employees and visitors to become designated organ, eye and tissue donors.
Many hospitals hosted activities and provided opportunities for employees to designate themselves as organ, eye and tissue donors. The 2012 Donate Life Hospital Registry Challenge campaign brought a greater awareness to local communities about the growing national waiting list. Currently, more than 112,000 people are waiting for a life-saving organ transplant. Nearly 2,000 of those people on the wait list are Maryland residents anxiously hoping for a second chance at life.
We thank our hospital partners for their participation and are proud to announce the 2012 winners of the Hospital Registry Challenge.
The below winners were divided into categories based on the size of the hospital and new donor designations:
- The University of Maryland Medical Center: Winner for the largest amount of new donor designations in a hospital with over 500 beds.
- Meritus Regional Medical Center: Winner for the largest amount of new donor designations in a hospital with over 150 beds.
- Calvert Memorial Hospital: Winner for the largest amount of new donor designations in a hospital with over 75 beds.
Congratulations to these hospitals, what a success!
The below winners won for most creative Donate Life Month campaigns:
- Upper Chesapeake Health: Winner for the best external campaign. This hospital raised the donor flag for the entire month of April, had an ongoing social media campaign through their Facebook page, and distributed a press release that was picked up by their local newspaper.
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center: Winner for the best internal campaign. This hospital had internal contests for each unit, staff who were already designated donors participated in a ‘Wear Your Jeans to Work Day.’
Congratulations to all of the winners of the 2012 Hospital Registry Challenge! We are looking forward to an even more successful 2013 Donate Life Month.