In honor of Independence Day, I have decided to make a list of the top five reasons I love the USA. I hope you enjoy, and feel free to add your own reasons in the comments below!
5. Cheeseburgers, apple pie and baseball. American staples. I dare you to disagree!
4. Fireworks. I love that we use fireworks in our celebrations. They are pretty, attention-grabbing, and it’s really fun to try to guess what color they are going to be before they burst. What, is that just me? Oh well…
3. Hollywood. As a lover of the entertainment business, I definitely appreciate Hollywood. Sometimes my work overlaps with my love of entertainment when donation-based movies come out, such as Seven Pounds, Return to Me, Repo Men and My Sister’s Keeper, or when medical dramas decide to include donation in their storylines. Some movies and tv shows do a better job at portraying donation than others, but without them, Donate Life Hollywood would not exist! [Check out http://donatelifehollywood.org/ to see the good, the bad and the ugly of donation as it is depicted in the entertainment business!]
2. Our freedoms and rights. We have the freedom to express how we feel, challenge ideas and make our own decisions. I can legally designate myself as an organ and tissue donor on my driver’s license, and then I am a donor. No one gets to make the decision for me, it’s my decision to make.. I think that’s pretty awesome.
1. Our giving nature. Think about it – every time there is a natural disaster, a war, or some other sort of tragedy anywhere in the world, what do we do? We offer to help. We give. We hold telethons, we text the Red Cross and donate money to relief funds, we spend our vacation time rebuilding homes for those affected; we do what we can to help others. When there are people in suffering from diseases such as cancer or AIDS, what do we do? We donate money to find a cure. We give. When there are people waiting for a transplant that will save their life, what do we do? WE GIVE. It’s what we do, and I love that about our country.
What do you love about the USA? Post your comments below!